Thornton le Dale Womens Institute
The Thornton le Dale branch of the WI was established in 1924 and has met regularly since that date. We are pleased to say that today, our branch continues to thrive and grow, with an active programme of activities (you can read our 2016 report by clicking here or on the link below.
We meet on the second Tuesday of every month in the Village Hall, Pickering Road, at 7pm and all are welcome. To see our 2017 Programme of Events click here.
Do you enjoy a good read? We have a WI Book Club which meets on the third Wednesday of the month. We also have a walking group which meet, weather permitting, for informal walks and a lunch in the Spring and Summer months.
Please feel free to give us a call or you can contact us by email, using the form below (scroll down to the bottom of the page).
Recent and forthcoming events:
- Tuesday 14 February 2017 (Valentine's Day) to Sunday 19 February .... Green Hearts on the village green ... Click here to see the photos
- In March, our speaker was Charlie Heap from Duncombe Park Bird of Prey Centre - as well as giving us a fascinating account of the work of the Centre, Charlie also brought along one of the resident owls
- We are meeting for a Spring Lunch on Friday 7 April - this will be held at The Buck
- Our speaker in April will be Mr Kinghorn whose subject will be 'Local Smuggling'
- In January, our speaker was a representative from the Malton Food Bank - this is a local good cause which we regularly support.Lesley gave us all a very insightful talk about how the Food Bank operates and how local people can access this kind of support.
- We have arranged a trip to The Barbican in York to see Anton and Erin from Strictly Come Dancing. This is on Saturday 1 April
- We attend and present our handiwork in the WI tent at the Ryedale show each year. Click here for the WI Ryedale Show Schedule
- In April members enjoyed a fascinting talk about smuggling from a former Customs and Excise Officer
- In May we tried our hand at Lishi Tai Chi with Phil Winskill - not quite Calendar Girls but we're getting there
- In May we tried out playing Boules on the court at the Village Hall - our thanks to Roger Sharples for the tuition:
- There was no meeting in June as we had an outing to Jackson's Wold Garden preceeded by lunch at Walkers Fish restaurant.
- In July we held a Summer Fayre with other local WI's joining us for an evening of boules and games. Also in July we had a Willow Weaving day
- In August we held a tombola and cake stall at Thornton Le Dale Scarecrow Festival. We also went to the Esk Valley Theatre to see 'Larkin with Women' followed by supper at the Tea Cosy Tearoom in Ellerburn.
- At our meeting in September we were entetained by Lindy Rowley from The Scarborough Maritime Trust. Her talk was full of fascinating facts about seafarers and the lives of those associated with the sea. The Maritime Museaum is free to visit and we feel sure many of our members will be making the trip very soon.
- October saw our Harvest Auction and Supper. we were joined by WI friends from Lockton and Middleton WI's and our actioneer, Paul Carter, made the evening enjoyable and fun for all. Everyone went home with produce from the auction which had been generously provided by our own WI members.
- November will be our AGM - there will be reports of our activities through the year, followed by a talk from Colin Culley on and Arctic Expedition.
You are welcome to join us for any of our meetings as a guest, please feel free to come along or send us an email (scroll down to the bottom of this page for contact information). New faces are always welcome.
Files to download
Thornton le Dale Womens Institute
The Village Hall Pickering Hill, Thornton Dale
Thornton le Dale
Phone: 01751 476876